Thursday, March 19, 2009

DON'T SHAMPOO!!! CO-WASH INSTEAD

I know it probably sounds weird for me to tell people that they should not shampoo their hair, but think about it - how many times have you thought that your hair looked better when you didn't wash it for a few days? Personally, I dislike the way my hair looks after I wash it. I have LOTS of shrinkage (hair looks MUCH shorter than it really is), and the shampoo usually washes away all of the natural oils that have made my hair look great!

So, in my search for hair products, I stumbled across a friend's blog that mentioned she "co-washes" instead of shampooing. "Co-wash" is short for "Conditioner Wash," and it means exactly what it says. Wash your hair with CONDITIONER instead of SHAMPOO.

Again, this seems weird, but I found a site that gives many reasons why you would choose to co-wash over shampoo:
  • You like to wet your hair daily but shampooing strips it (ME!)
  • Shampooing makes your hair frizzy and dry (ME!)
  • You don't use a lot of styling products and just need a light wash (ME!...sometimes)
  • Your scalp is allergic to shampoo.
  • You experience a lot of tangles when you shampoo and just don't have time for that every day (TOTALLY ME!)

The site goes on to say that co-washes keep your hair moisturized and super conditioned. Many naturally curly women do co-washes daily to help them maintain frizz free moisturized curls. Conditioner washes help your hair hold on to moisture because you are constantly opening the hair cuticle and putting vital moisture (water and conditioner) into your hair. The more often you conditioner wash, the better your results will be.


And there you have it folks....co-washing instead of shampooing. SO many benefits. I've been co-washing for a few months now and I can attest to the results :)


I like to use a lighter conditioner such as Elucence MBC to co-wash. It detangles wonderfully, but is not a thick and strong conditioner. It's also a natural product, so you know I'm into that :)


HAPPY CO-WASHING!!!

3 comments:

  1. excellent blog ladies. i HATE shampoo! co-washing is the bomb. i sometimes do a beer rinse after. something about the proteins making the hair follicle glossy.
    i'll be waiting for my natural hair product gift package to japan. ;)

    luv ya! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I'm in the pool often, an apple cider vinegar rinse is helpful. It does smell till it dries. I put it in and leave it in about 5 minutes. It tingles in the scalp, kills any bacteria, and resets ph. Once I rinse it out and dry, my hair looks good and my scalp feels great. It overall helps my skin too.

    ReplyDelete