Tuesday, March 10, 2009

HAIR TYPES, HAIR DYE, AND NATURAL PRODUCTS

I think this blog will help lots of curly girls because, as we all know, everyone's curls are different, and that makes everyone's journey different. Now, I know Rachel and I both have type 3 hair. I would guess I'm 3b, but I'm no expert. Everyone has a mixture of curl patterns, but Rachel is a mixture of 3b and 3c (I think)... We both have s-patterns that form spiral curls at the tips. Neither one of us has extremely thick hair, though Rachel's is definitely thicker than mine (I'm jealous). My mom says I used to want two pigtails like my older sister, but my hair was too fine, so I would be stuck with one:(

For your hair type check out www.naturallycurly.com/hair-types
**Rachel has corrected me - She says I am a mixture of 3a and 3b
**Would Rachel be a 3b or a mixture of 3b and 3c??

I have been dying my hair for 10 years now. I've had every color of the rainbow in my hair, but for the last few years I've been blonde - extremely blonde. Highlights in the winter, all over color in the summer. I must confess I did love my blonde (sigh), but after years of it my hair is literally done. It's been damaged and grown back more times than I can count. So my "big chop" was about getting rid of bleach, not perms... When I stylishly grew my roots, people asked me, "Why do you dye your hair at all??" since it is naturally a reddish-brown color (even my hairdresser asked me this). I had no logical answer to this, of course, but kept dying away. My hair is shorter than I like it right now, and with the shrinkage it can drive me crazy at times, but I am staying away from heat as much as possible and embracing my natural curl. There is a bit of color/damage left in the front, where I had it highlighted most recently, and I can't wait to see it all healthy and curly. Truthfully, it hasn't been healthy and curly since I was young because I was straightening the curl out when I had virgin hair, and by the time I got around to my first curly phase it was already dyed.

I'm not saying I'll never highlight again, but for now my love affair with chemical coloring is over (sigh again). Experimenting with henna may be in the near future, so stay tuned...

Another thing... Rachel and I are using natural products these days. It's a a win-win situation. I haven't eaten meat for over twenty years, so naturally I don't want products tested on animals. Plus, these are the products best for our hair. You can't lose!!

Oh, my baby sister has locs, so I'll be reporting in on products that work well for her, too!!

1 comment:

  1. Very informative Blog :) .... You should also look into putting a patent on your signature pose *wink!* :)

    ReplyDelete